[Users] New User Issues

Stewart Holt stewartbholt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 13:59:08 PDT 2020

I saw presentations on QField during the QGIS US conference last summer. I
have just started to work with QField and so far, I am very impressed
with the way it has so much capability using a simple interface which is
easily usable in field conditions. I have found three problems that I hope
someone can help me with. I can work around or endure all of these, but it
would be cleaner to avoid these, especially #3.

   1. When exporting a project, I have found that if the project contains
   polygon layers, they are included in the basemap, even if they are not
   checked. As a workaround I have created a new project, adding just the WMS
   service that I need for the basemap and exported this with no layers
   checked except the WMTS service. I substitute this map for the one produced
   by the QFieldSync  export of my project. This works and because the needed
   map is102 MB, is a time savings. Is the polygon layer appearing over the
   base map a known problem? An option in QFieldSync to not output a basemap
   but include one created earlier in the exported QGIS project would really
   help.
   2. There are empty groups in my exported QField project. In fact, every
   top group was exported. These groups in the QGIS project but were not
   checked and had no layers checked in them. It would be nice if these were
   excluded to save room in the layer list.
   3. I created a point in QField, did a sync to QGIS and verified that the
   point was correct in QGIS. I then deleted it in QGIS and exported the
   project to QField. In doing this, I first deleted everything in the project
   directory on the mobile device and on the export directory on the PC, then
   exported, copied to the mobile device. When I opened the project in QField,
   the point was still there. I deleted it in QField, but did not sync, just
   exported from QGIS again. The point was still there in QField. I suspected
   that the point was persistent somewhere in QGIS. I closed and reopened the
   QGIS project, exported, copied, etc. Then in QField, the point was gone. I
   suspect that QFieldSync must have had it in temporary storage. It appears
   that QFieldSync closes and reopens the QGIS project but that was not
   sufficient to clear wherever that point was stored.

Thanks,

Stewart