[Users] Duplicate fid problem when splitting polygons

George F Smith george.smith at blackthornecology.ie
Tue May 11 03:04:23 PDT 2021

Hi All,

I have a problem with splitting existing polygons with QField.  I have a
polygon layer in .gpkg format that I amend in the field.  This has been
saved from an original shapefile layer.  When I split polygons with QField,
there are no problems, but when I bring them back into QGIS, I get an error
message about duplicate fids, and only one part of the split polygon is
successfully imported back into QGIS.

When I package the layer for offline editing, it creates a "fid_1" field in
addition to the existing "fid" field.  I'm not sure which one is causing
the problems or why the second is created (maybe because the layer was
originally a shapefile?).  Manually editing the fid and fid_1 fields in
QField before syncing doesn't help.

Is there a solution to this?  Should I just keep the layer as a shapefile
to work with in QField?

Thanks,

George

*George F Smith PhD CEcol MCIEEM*