[Users] Android 4.4 and older support

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue May 5 04:58:35 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

QField is currently available for many Android versions.

There are apks download that (claim to) support back to API level 9
(Android 2.3).

We are convinced that technology should be used for as long as possible
and planned obsolescence hurts our society and planet.

In recent feedbacks through google play we noticed that there are many
terrible feedbacks for old versions (Android 4.4 and older) where the
app does not even start any more. Please note, that due to technical
restrictions out of our control it's not possible to upload new versions
for these devices. All we do is continue to serve old (pre 1.0) apks.

To protect people from downloading old versions which do not work as
expected, we would like to remove these old apks from the play store by
end of May 2020. They will continue to be available from the release
download page [1] for the future.

We hope that this has no inconveniences for anyone

Kind regards and happy mapping

Matthias