[Users] QField upcoming updates

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Sep 26 01:21:50 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am excited to announce, that there are some really exciting changes
waiting to be released in QField soon.

Our team has been working hard on two particularly cool features, one of
them is *geometry editing*. With this new functionality it is possible
to move points or move, add or delete vertices of lines and polygons.

The other functionality is a *new file selector*. The old file selector
is... let's say "not very user friendly" to put it nicely. The new one
on the other hand integrates nicely with the Android look and feel.

One effect of this is, that we will have to increase the minimum
supported Android version from 4.3 to 4.4. We always gave our best to
support old devices so you can keep using the hardware you own. So it
was a very hard decision but we realized that sometimes we have to do
some kind of decision like this. This will affect a total number of 37
installations out there, which will not receive any further updates. If
you are the owner of one of these devices and need continued support,
please get in touch with us.

Something else we would like to announce is, that it's possible already
now to test what we have cooking. We have a team of highly trained bots
that build new test versions. And we would like you to test it, so we
can ship a stable next release. Just go to one of the pull requests
geometry editing <https://github.com/opengisch/QField/pull/348> or
native file selector <https://github.com/opengisch/QField/pull/250>.
Scroll down until you find the latest comment by the qfield fairy and
download the test apk (in most cases you want the the armv7 one). If it
works good for you, click on the thumbs up smiley. If it does not work
for you, leave a comment (or thumb up an already existing comment if
someone else already left the comment you were about to write).

Thanks for reading so far and for using QField

And maybe there is a 1.0 release looming around the corner, who knows ;)

Matthias Kuhn

OPENGIS.ch Logo <http://www.opengis.ch>